About Our County Seal

sealseal
                              1893                                                1974

The image on the left was taken from the corner of a County Clerk memo dated December 16, 1893 when Jacob D. Wurts was County Clerk.

The image on the right is in use today.  This design was adopted in 1974 in preparation for the 1976 bicentennial celebration.

Take some time to compare the two.

Creating a County Flag and a New Seal

On March 13, 1969 the County Clerk’s Legislative Committee (Chairman Elmendorf and Legislators Kuhlmann, Lasher, Kirk, Roach, Carroll, Dwyer, and Resnick) was designated by Resolution No. 62 to propose a design for a county flag.  At that time over half of the counties in New York State had adopted official flags.  The committee consented to have Kenneth E. Hasbrouck and Ira D. Warren, Associate Ulster County Historians, and Harry Rigby Jr., City of Kingston Historian, design the flag.

The County Clerk’s Committee presented their proposal to the Legislature March 14, 1974 and by Resolution No. 66 their flag design was adopted.  The flag design is credited to John Pike, internationally known Woodstock artist, and consisted of “three bars of equal size, the top bar of Ulster Orange, the middle bar of White, and the bottom bar of Delft Blue with the seal of the county representing the mountains, a sheaf of grain, a pre-revolutionary farmer and a Dutch stone house”.

In that same resolution, the County Clerk was authorized to have the center theme of the flag reproduced as the official seal of the County of Ulster.  Both the flag and the official seal were adopted in preparation for the 1976 bicentennial celebration.