On October 14, 2009 new regulations instituted by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation took effect. These new regulations significantly change what materials can be burned, and when they can be burned. A few key points include:
- Burning household trash in burn barrels is now illegal.
- Burning leaves is now banned in New York State.
- Burning pressure treated lumber and plywood is prohibited.
- What can be burned?
- Campfires less than 3 feet in height and 4 feet in length, width or diameter
- Small cooking fires
- Ceremonial bonfire fires
- In towns with a population of less than 20,000, you may burn tree limbs with attached leaves. The limbs must be less than 6 inches in diameter and 8 feet in length. However, this is not allowed from March 16 through May 14.
- Organic agricultural waste (pesticides, plastics and non-organic materials are prohibited).
- Liquid petroleum fueled smudge pots to prevent frost damage to crops.
Towns, villages, cities and counties can still pass ordinances that are stricter than, and not inconsistent with, open fire regulations. The DEC still requires a permit be obtained if you plan to burn brush and you live in a town which is totally or partially within the Catskill Park (this includes the towns of Denning, Gardiner, Hardenburgh, Olive, Rochester, Shandaken, Shawangunk, Wawarsing and Woodstock). For a complete list of the new DEC regulations, visit their web site at http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4261.html
To report environmental law violations, call 1-800-TIPP DEC (1-800-847-7332). If you need to report an immediately dangerous condition, call 911.
Remember, you are responsible for any damages caused by a fire you start!
|Municipality||Fire District||Official||Special Notes|
|Ellenville (Village)||No burning|
|Esopus||Esopus Fire Chief|
|Port Ewen||Port Ewen Fire Chief|
|Rifton||Rifton Fire Chief|
|St. Remy||St. Remy Fire Chief|
|Hurley||No permit needed|
|Kingston (City)||No burning|
|Kingston (Town)||Sawkill||Sawkill Fire Chief|
|West Hurley||West Hurley Fire Chief|
|Marbletown||No permit needed|
|New Paltz (Town)||No permit needed|
|New Paltz (Village)||No burning|
|No Sunday burning|
|Plattekill||No permit needed|
|DEC Ranger||Off-site material|
|Town Clerk||No Sunday burning|
|Saugerties (Town)||No burning|
|Saugerties (Village)||No burning|
|Ulster||Bloomington||Bloomington Fire Chief|
|East Kingston||East Kingston Fire Chief|
|Ruby||Ruby Fire Chief|
|Spring Lake||Spring Lake Fire Chief|
|Ulster Hose #5||Ulster Hose Fire Chief|