Frequently Asked Questions

    Records Vault
  • How do I get access to the records?
    Access is available for most of the records described here through this office; Ulster County Records Management Program 845-340-3415.   However, there are some exceptions. At this time, Deeds, Mortgages, Liens, Judgments, Maps, Civil Action Cases, Criminal Action Cases, and Divorce Files are accessed through the County Clerk’s Office at 845-340-3288, 244 Fair Street, Kingston, Monday through Friday.  No appointment is necessary.  For records other than the County Clerk’s please contact those departments directly.  Go to the Ulster County home page at for further information about other Ulster County departments and agencies.
  • Do I need an appointment to use the Archives?
    Yes. An appointment is necessary. To ensure that there is Archives staff available to assist with researchers needs, an appointment is necessary. Please telephone the Archives at (845) 340-3415. It is recommended that appointments be made at least twenty-four hours in advance. In addition, by telephoning the Archives a researcher will have an opportunity to speak with an Archives staff member regarding their specific search request.
  • What kind of records do you have? What is an archival record?
    A portion of the records produced or collected during the normal activities of the government of the County of Ulster have been identified as "archival" because of their enduring administrative, legal, fiscal, historical or research value. They include certain court records, naturalization records, estate records, poorhouse records, property records, or tax records for example.
  • What is the oldest record in the Archives?
    On May 31, 1658, under the direction of Peter Stuyvesant, Dutch settlers of Wiltwyck agreed to build a palisade or stockade for protection from the Esopus Indians. That agreement or bond is the oldest record in the archives. The record is part of the series Kingston Court/Minutes in the 101 Box Collection.
  • The Records VaultWhat is the 101 Box Collection?
    The 101 Box Collection is an artificial collection of the Ulster County Clerk. In 1963, Resolution #30 of the Ulster County Board of Supervisors temporarily released "certain old records" of the County Clerk to the History Department of Queen's College for cataloging, indexing and microfilming. At the request of the Ulster County Legislature in 1969, the records were returned to Ulster County and rehoused in 101 boxes. The records are currently under the care and control of the Ulster County Clerk's Records Management Program, established in 1988
  • Are all the records of the Archives described here?
    Every record series described at this site belongs to the County Clerk’s Office.  Describing records is an ongoing project of the Archives and all completed descriptions are posted on this site. For records of other Ulster County Departments you must contact those offices directly.  Go to the Ulster County home page at for further information.
  • I’m doing my family genealogy.  What records do you have for genealogists?Archival Processing Technician Ken Gray helps researcher
    Genealogists are our most popular researchers.  There are a number of record series that contain information of interest to genealogists - census records (1790-1925); naturalization records (1830-1992); birth, death and marriage records (1847-1883), (1908-1935); City of Kingston Directories (1873-1998); Pauper and Poorhouse Records (1823-1956); Ashokan Reservoir Records (1906-1958).  These series and more are described in detail in our publication Genealogical and Other Resources of the Ulster County ArchivesFor access to some of the above, search our records database.
    Deeds, Mortgages, Liens, Judgments, Maps, Civil Action Cases, Criminal Action Cases, and Divorce Files are accessed through the County Clerk’s Office at 244 Fair Street, Kingston Monday through Friday.  No appointment is necessary.  Call 845-340-3288.
    Tax Rolls are available at the Department of Finance.  Call 845-340-3431.
    Wills are available at the Office of the Surrogate’s Court.  Call 845-340-3348

  • Do you have birth, death and marriage records?
    Birth, death and marriage records are filed with the clerk of the Village, Town or City government where the event took place. Click here for a list of Ulster County town and village clerks.
  • Do you have Military Records or Discharges?
    The County Clerk has military discharges, however access is restricted by section 250 of the Military Law amended March 18, 2005.  The law states, “No filed certificate or any information contained therein, shall be disclosed to any person except the veteran or parent, spouse, dependent or child of the veteran, representative of the estate of the deceased veteran or a public official, acting within the scope of his or her employment, unless such disclosure is authorized in writing by the veteran.”  For further information contact the County Clerk’s Office directly 845-340-3288.
  • Do you have land records to search, like mortgages and deeds?
    Land Records are available at the Ulster County Clerk's Office. The County Clerk's Office is located at 244 Fair Street, Kingston, New York in the Ulster County Office Building.
  • How do I get copies of records?
    Copy fees are $.65 a page for black and white copies up to 11x17 inches. Copies of full-size maps are $5.00 each. In person payment can be made in cash, check or money order payable to the "Ulster County Clerk". Off site requests for copies must be made in writing via the United States Postal Service to Archives, Ulster County Records Center, 300 Foxhall Avenue, Kingston, New York, 12401 and must include payment by check or money order only payable to the "Ulster County Clerk" and in the exact amount. If the exact amount is not known, please call the Archives at 845-340-3415 to discuss other options.
  • I'm not very computer-literate, but I'm interested in doing some research. Are there other resources available there to suit my needs?
    Yes. All the information available online and more is available in hard copy finding aids and indexes in the research room of the Archives. However, if you managed to find your way here using your computer, you should have no trouble at all moving around this site and finding useful information.