Passport & Passport Card Requirements

Name Change | Renewal by mail | Lost or Stolen Passports | Status Information

Routine, Expedited or Priority Passport Applications are processed in the County Clerk's Office Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.

Original Application

  • Fill out application legibly in black ink. Please do not sign. You will sign before the clerk.
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship: The applicant's birth certificate with seal and filing date issued by the Registrar of Vital Statistics or a previously issued U.S. passport. Children under the age of 16 must present a birth certificate showing parents name along with any previously issued passport. Hospital birth certificates are not acceptable.
  • Passport photo (1) – 2” x 2” in size, color photo taken within the last six months (See application for other requirements). For your convenience, Passport Photo Services are available at our office.
  • Proof of Identification – for applicants age 16 through 17 - years of age – applies on their own and signs his/her name on the application.  Bring your own NYS Photo Driver’s License or bring at least one parent/guardian to identify you with proper identification.
  • For applicants over 17 years of age NYS Photo Drivers License or adult witness (preferably a parent) with proper identification that has known the applicant for more than 2 years.  Applicant must present secondary identification.

Proof of Identification:

All applicants must appear in person. Applicants age 16 years or older must sign his or her name on the application. The parents must appear and identify the minor child.

For applicants under the age of 16, both parents or legal guardian must:

  1. Present proof that they are the parents or legal guardian of the child
  2. They must present their New York State Driver's License
  3. They must sign the application before a County Clerk employee

If a second parent is not available to sign or appear, then the following must be presented:

  • Proof of sole legal custody of the child
  • Written consent of the other parent for the issuance of the passport - this form is available from our office or on-line from (Statement of consent form DS-3053)
  • Written consent explaining why non-applying parents consent cannot be obtained
  • All consent forms must signed before a notary public and the parent must provide a photocopy of the front and backside of his or her ID

Two Checks or Money Orders

FEE TYPE New Passport Fee
(Department of State)
New Execution Fee
(Ulster County Clerk)
New Fee Total
Passport Book
Age 16 and Over, DS-11
$110 $35  $145
Passport Book
Age 15 and Under, DS-11
$80 $35 $115
Passport Book
By Mail, DS-82
$110 N/A $110
Passport Card
Age 16 and Over, DS-11
$30 $35 $65
Passport Card
Age 15 and Under, DS-11
$15 $35 $50
Passport Card
By Mail, DS-82
$30 N/A $30
Passport Book & Card
Age 16 and Over, DS-11
$140 $35 $175
Passport Book & Card
Age 15 and Under, DS-11
$95 $35 $130
Passport Book & Card
By Mail, DS-82
$140 N/A $140

For additional information in regard to a passport card visit the web at

FEES MUST BE KEPT SEPARATE – Clerk’s Fee can be paid in Cash, Check or Money Order. Department of State Passport Fees must be paid by Check or Money Order.

EXPEDITED PROCESSING – You may request expedited processing of your passport application. The Passport Agency has a National Service Commitment that you will receive your passport within 25 days from receipt of completed application. If you need to receive your passport sooner you may request expedited service which ensures processing within three business days from receipt of the passport. The fee for this service is $60.00 payable to "Department of State". If you wish to have this application sent express mail, please provide us with the Express Mail Envelopes and appropriate postage for delivery to the passport agency.  An additional $12.85 per applicant per return overnight service from the passport agency must be included in the check or money order for the fee payable to the Department of State.

For quicker results, download a passport application, fill it out before hand and bring with you to the County Clerk’s Office. Please do not sign; you must sign in front of a County Clerk employee.

Name Change

If your name has been legally changed due to marriage or a court order within one year from the date of issuance of passport:

  • Send a completed form DS-5504, U.S. Passport Re-Application Form, a certified copy of your marriage certificate or your name change court decree, two recent color photographs (2” by 2”), and your current valid passport to the following address:
    If using USPS:
    National Passport Processing Center
    P.O. Box 90107
    Philadelphia, PA 19190-0107
    Expedited service (Additional Fee):
    National Passport Processing Center
    P.O. Box 90907
    Philadelphia, PA 19190-0907
  • Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable for passport purposes.

If your name has changed by other means and/or it has been more than one year from the date of issuance of the passport, you must submit a DS-82 renewal application and pay all applicable fees.

Renewal by mail

You are eligible to renew your US passport book/US passport card by mail if all the following are true:

  1. You can submit your must recent passport book/passport card
  2. You were 16 years old or older when it was issued
  3. It was issued less than 15 years ago.
  4. You have the same name as on your most recent passport or
    your name was changed by marriage or court order and you can submit either a certified copy of your marriage certificate or your name change court decree.

For quicker results, download a renewal form, fill it out, enclose two new pictures, your most recent passport and $75.00 fee payable to Department of State; or most recent passport card and $20.00 fee payable to Department of State:

If using USPS:
National Passport Center
P.O. Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155
If using other delivery service:
National Passport Processing Center
P.O. Box 90955
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955

Lost or Stolen Passports


If you are overseas and your U.S. passport was lost or stolen, please contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Within the US

There are two steps required to get a new passport.

  1. You must report your valid passport lost or stolen immediately. This is required of anyone who loses or has a passport stolen. You may call 24 hours/day at: (202) 955-0430 Voice mail - For non-business hours, Eastern Time. You will need to submit a Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport: DS-64.
  2. Replace your passport. You will need to submit Passport Application Form DS-11.

Status Information

For information on the status of your passport application check with the National Passport Information Center online at or call 1-877-487-2778. This number may also be used if you are leaving in less than 14 days and need to schedule and appointment.