COUNTY EXECUTIVE MIKE HEIN APPLAUDS GOVERNOR ANDREW CUOMO’S ANNOUNCEMENT TO HAVE NEW YORK STATE PAY FOR THE LOCAL FEMA SHARE FOR DAMAGE CAUSED BY HURRICANE IRENE AND TROPICAL STORM LEE

Posted April 11, 2012

The action will save Ulster County Taxpayers $3.75 Million

Middleburgh, N.Y. -- Ulster County Executive Mike Hein joined New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo today as he announced that New York State will cover the local share of disaster response and recovery costs resulting from Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee. Historically, FEMA covers 75% of disaster cleanup and repairs with the remaining 25% split equally between the State and local governments. In September of 2011, Ulster County Executive Mike Hein, in an interview with Capital Tonight’s Liz Benjamin advocated for New York State to pay for the local FEMA share of reconstruction costs attributable to Hurricane Irene. County Executive Hein has worked closely with the Governor’s Office to make a reality. “I applaud and commend Governor Cuomo for his leadership during the storms and now in the aftermath,” said County Executive Hein. “The Governor’s commitment to assisting local governments in our time of need has been incredible. Hurricane Irene was the worst natural disaster in the history of Ulster County. The damage caused has affected many towns and counties throughout New York State and in some areas it was nothing short of catastrophic. The reconstruction needed has been monumental. The 12.5% local share would be a devastating financial impact to all of Ulster County’s local governments and I am extremely happy to know that the state will be covering this burden for all local governments.”