James DeGasperis, Director
313 Shamrock Ln
Kingston, NY 12401
PO Box 1800
Kingston, NY 12402-1800
The Ulster County Bureau of Weights and Measures is responsible for assuring measurement accuracy in commerce throughout its region in accordance with Article 16 of the NYS Agriculture and Markets Law. The Weights and Measures Department conducts the following activities to promote equity in all commercial transactions involving quality, weight, measure or count:
- Inspects and/or tests all commercially used weighing and measuring devices and systems as prescribed by NYS Weights and Measures laws.
- Performs test buys and investigations to ensure proper business practices involving transactions based on weight, measure or count (e.g. labeling or proper application of tare).
- Keeps and maintains the applicable standards of Weights and Measures and submits those standards, at least once every five years, to the New York State Metrology Laboratory.
- Performs petroleum sampling and investigations at the retail level and enforces against violations.
- Inspects and/or tests packaged commodities as prescribed by NYS Weights and Measures laws.
- Causes any violations found to be corrected.
- Submits, by February 1st of each year, an annual report listing all inspections performed as instructed by the New York State Bureau of Weights and Measures.
- Inspects and enforces Chapter 169 of the Ulster County Code (Item Pricing) to ensure consumer goods offered for sale, are accurately and adequately marked as to their selling prices.