Michael Iapoce, Commissioner
1061 Development Court
Kingston, NY 12401
Phone: (845) 334-5000
Office Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday-Friday
The mission of the Department of Social Services (DSS) is to serve, assist and protect individuals and families who are vulnerable or in need in order to strengthen and preserve families and empower people to be more self-sufficient.
Are you a first-time, potential applicant of social services programs? If so, the Find Services web application provides an easy-to-use starting point. This link will direct you to a short survey with a series of simple questions aimed at narrowing the field of possible services that are best designed to serve your needs. Upon completing the survey, a list of potential services with descriptions of each are provided to you to help you determine what might be right for you and how you can apply.
If you need to speak to someone or if you have questions, please call:
- Temporary Assistance: (845) 334-5440
- Emergency Housing (845) 334-5360
- SNAP: (845) 334-5200
- HEAP: (845) 334-5436
- Medicaid: (845) 334-5175
- Employment: (845) 334-5317
- Child Care Subsidy Program: (845) 334-5489
- Child Support Customer Service Helpline: 1-888-208-4485
- Child Support Customer Service Information Line: 1-800-846-0773
- Early Intervention & Preschool Special Education Programs: (845) 334-5251
- Adult Protective Services: (845) 334-5125
- Child & Family Services: (845) 334-5400
- Anti-fraud, Waste and Abuse Hotline: (855) SIU-TIPS or (855) 748-8477
Applying for Services
SNAP applicants may apply on-line using www.mybenefits.com
Medicaid: The New York State of Health on-line application is available for those who are not over 65, blind, or disabled: https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov/ or contact 855-355-5777.
Child Support: Applications can be obtained from www.childsupport.ny.gov/
NYDocSubmit is a mobile application that allows certain applicants and recipients in Ulster County to take pictures of their documents and submit them to the Ulster County Department of Social Services using their Apple iOS or Android Device. There is no need for the individual to take time off from work, stand in line or travel to the district office to drop off documents.
Important: NYDocSubmit is not monitored for emergencies and is not to be used to submit an application or to submit a periodic report.
Social Services programs that NYDocSubmit supports:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
- Temporary Assistance (TA)
Types of documents that can be submitted using NYDocSubmit:
- Citizenship Status
- Medical Documentation
- Proof of Household
- Proof of Income
- SSN or proof of SSN application
- Other Documentation
Types of documents containing sensitive information that should NOT be submitted using NYDocSubmit:
- Child Protective Services (CPS) case information or to report suspected child abuse or maltreatment.
- Documents that contain HIV information
- Domestic violence information
- Addresses that must remain confidential to safeguard any member of an applicant’s or recipient’s household.
Mailing Addresses for Applications:
Temporary Assistance, Child Care Subsidy Program & HEAP: Ulster County Department of Social Services; 1021 Development Court, Kingston NY 12401
SNAP: Ulster County Department of Social Services-SNAP; 1051 Development Court, Kingston NY 12401
Medicaid: Ulster County Department of Social Services-Medicaid; 1001 Development Court, Kingston NY 12401
Fax Applications & Documentation to:
Temporary Assistance: (845) 334-5301
SNAP: (845) 334-5226
Child Care Subsidy Program: (845) 334-5192
Medicaid: (845) 334-5420