1001 Development Court
Kingston, NY 12401
Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday-Friday
Medicaid is health insurance for individuals who qualify financially under Federal guidelines and provides insurance for medical, dental and optical care. Eligibility for this program is based on income and resources.
Our traditional, very comprehensive, programs are fee-for-service Medicaid, and Managed Care Medicaid. Both these programs are for individuals and families age 19 and up who meet income guidelines.
We also offer some more specialized programs; the Prenatal Care Assistance Program for pregnant women, the Family Planning Benefit Program for persons of childbearing age, various Medicare Savings Programs, the Medicaid Buy-In for Working Persons with Disabilities, COBRA Assistance, Chronic Care Medicaid for nursing home and long-term home health care, and various waivered programs for persons with specific needs such as the Care at Home program for children, and the Traumatic Brain Injury Waivered program.
Ulster County is a mandatory managed care county. Managed care is designed to improve access to quality medical services. Although some people are exempt from enrolling due to special circumstances, most families must choose a health plan.
Depending on their level of eligibility, clients may receive assistance with doctor's visits, prescription medications, dental services, emergency medical services, in-patient hospital care, medical transportation, assistance paying for other health insurance programs, and many other services necessary to keep individuals and families healthy.
You may apply for Medicaid in the following ways:
- NY State of Health (NYSOH), The Official Health Plan Marketplace (855)355-5777
- Online website: www.healthbenefitexchange.ny.gov
- Navigators and Certified Application Counselors
- Medicaid Helpline (800)541-2831
- Local District Social Services Offices
- All individuals that come to the local Medicaid Office will be screened to determine if they should apply at the local district or with the NYSOH Marketplace.
The following individuals should apply with New York State of Health Marketplace:
- Adults (not pregnant) and aged 19-64, not eligible for Medicare;
- Pregnant Women and Infants;
- Children ages 1 – 18; and
- Parents and Caretaker Relatives
The following individuals should apply with their Local Department of Social Services (LDSS):
- Individuals in receipt of Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF);
- Individuals in receipt of Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI);
- Foster Care youth;
- Individuals age 65 and older, who are not parents or caretaker relatives, when age is a condition of eligibility;
- Individuals whose eligibility is based on being blind or disabled or who request coverage for community based long term care (CBLTC) services;
- Medicare Savings Program (MSP);
- Medicaid Buy-In for Working People with Disabilities enrollees (MBI-WPD);
- Former Foster Care youth;
- Residents of adult homes and nursing homes;
- Residential treatment center/community residences operated by The Office of Mental Health (OMH) and;
- Presumptive Eligibility (PE) for Pregnant Women apply with provider, processed by the LDSS.