Crime Victims Unit
1 Pearl Street
50 Center Street
New Paltz Office
124 Main Street
The Probation Department works to insure public safety for the community and all crime victims by utilizing an aggressive 24-hour community control supervision of the offender with the latest technology and community partnerships.
Through a victim-centered approach, and complete offender accountability, the agency provides comprehensive crime victims services to all members of the community, including a 24-hour sexual assault/domestic violence hotline.This provides all crime victims a voice in the Criminal Justice System.
Probation prevents non-essential incarceration of adult offenders and placement options for juvenile delinquent/persons in need of supervision (JD/PINS) by providing all Ulster County courts with effective community justice sanctions and treatment alternatives.It also assists in competency development for all offenders to become productive members of the community.
The agency is comprised of several divisions:
- Family Court: All services to referred Juvenile Delinquency cases under the age of 16 or PINS cases to age 18.
- Pretrial Services: Release services for incarcerated offenders.
- Criminal Investigation: Court ordered reports.
- Criminal Supervision: Court ordered community supervision.
- Crime Victims Assistance: Service to all victims of crime in Ulster County.
Probation differs from parole in that probation is a supervision sentence imposed by a court in lieu of a jail or prison sentence.Parole is supervision imposed upon release from state prison.Probation is a County function.Parole is a State function located in Poughkeepsie at 452-0620.