FAQ: Veteran Services Agency

Q: What if I don’t have my DD-214 Discharge?

A: Veteran Services Agency staff can help you order one from the St. Louis records center.  Allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.  Next of kin of deceased veterans may also order discharges (A death certificate is required). The SF-180 order form must be signed by the veteran or next of kin if deceased.

Q: Where do I get my Veteran Discount Card?

A: The Ulster County FAVOR card provides discounts to veterans at participating retail businesses.  Visit the Veteran Services Agency office or the County Clerk’s office to obtain a card. A list of participating businesses can be found at: VendorListReport.pdf.

Q: Are VA benefits taxable?

A: Service-connected disability compensation and education benefits are not taxable. Other VA monetary benefits are usually taxable as ordinary income.

Q: How long does it take to process a VA claim?

A: Claims are completed and forwarded from Veteran Services Agency to the VA within 24 hours. VA claims processing is extremely backlogged and can take over a year to complete.

Q: How do I file a claim for VA benefits?

A: The claims process is complex and detailed.  Forms vary depending on the benefit being applied for. It is recommended that you visit the UC Veteran Services Agency to speak with a Service Officer who has been trained and accredited for submitting claims directly to the VA on your behalf. Veterans may also do this on their own on the VA’s eBenefits website.

Q: Can I get transportation to my VA medical appointments?

A: There is a daily shuttle from Kingston to Stratton VA Medical Center (VAMC) in Albany, at no cost to the veteran. Call 340-3190 to reserve a space on the van, at least 24 hours ahead of your appointment.  UCVSA also supports wheelchair-bound vets needing transportation to the VA Clinic and the Kingston Hospital Dialysis Center, both located in Kingston.

Q: How do I apply for VA Healthcare?

A: Fill out VA Form 10-10EZ.  A Service Officer is available to assist.

Q: How do I obtain information and advice about benefits?

A: Visit the office and ask to speak with a Service Officer or browse through the VA Benefits Handbook at http://www.va.gov/opa/publications/benefits_book.asp.

Q: How do I register as a veteran in your office?

A: Visit the office and bring your DD-214 or other discharge papers.