FAQ: Finance

Q: Do you issue Certificates that can be used as proof for something other than community colleges?

A: No, the certificates are specifically issued for Community Colleges in New York State and not for any other required residency certification.

Q: How long is the Certificate valid?

A: Each certificate is valid for one year from the date of issue.   Students are required to re-apply for a new certificate at the time of expiration, if attending additional semesters.  It is the student’s responsibility to insure that a valid Certificate of Residence is on file at the start of each semester.

Q: What happens if the 30 days have passed since the commencement of classes?

A: Unfortunately, the student is obligated to pay the full tuition to the college.  However, if the student is taking future courses, a new application would need to be submitted to the Department of Finance within the acceptable dates for the new semester.

Q: When should I apply?

A: According to the NYS Education Law, applications will be accepted 60 days prior to or within 30 days after the commencement of classes.

Q: How long does it take to get a certificate?

A: If you send in all of the required documentation via mail, the certificate is usually sent to the applicant’s college within a week of the Ulster County Department of Finance receiving it.  If the applicant applies in person with proper documentation, the certificate will be issued right away.

Q: Why does the County require proof of residency?

A: Ulster County pays the difference between the Resident and Non-Resident Tuition for each eligible County resident /student who attends a Community College located outside of Ulster County.  The Department of Finance is tasked by the County Executive with ensuring that costs paid by Ulster County’s taxpayers are in fact the County’s responsibility.

Q: Can I fax or email my application?

A: No.  A faxed or emailed copy of an application is not accepted.  The original notarized application must be mailed or hand delivered to the Ulster County Department of Finance along with supporting documentation.

Q: What if I have a Green Card or U.S. Visa?

A: The type of Visa you have determines if you are eligible to receive a County Certificate.  Please contact the Department of Finance for more information.

Q: What if I am a resident of another state but my parent is in the active military and stationed in Ulster County?

A: You are eligible to receive a Certificate of Residency from Ulster County if your parent is from another State/County and is stationed in Ulster County.

Q: If I am under the age of 18, can my parent or legal guardian sign the application for me?

A: Yes, if you are under the age of 18, your parent or legal guardian can sign the application for you.