FAQ: All

Q: How do I file a claim for VA benefits?

A: The claims process is complex and detailed.  Forms vary depending on the benefit being applied for. It is recommended that you visit the UC Veteran Services Agency to speak with a Service Officer who has been trained and accredited for submitting claims directly to the VA on your behalf. Veterans may also do this on their own on the VA’s eBenefits website.

Q: Can I get transportation to my VA medical appointments?

A: There is a daily shuttle from Kingston to Stratton VA Medical Center (VAMC) in Albany, at no cost to the veteran. Call 340-3190 to reserve a space on the van, at least 24 hours ahead of your appointment.  UCVSA also supports wheelchair-bound vets needing transportation to the VA Clinic and the Kingston Hospital Dialysis Center, both located in Kingston.

Q: How do I apply for VA Healthcare?

A: Fill out VA Form 10-10EZ.  A Service Officer is available to assist.

Q: How do I obtain information and advice about benefits?

A: Visit the office and ask to speak with a Service Officer or browse through the VA Benefits Handbook at http://www.va.gov/opa/publications/benefits_book.asp.

Q: How do I register as a veteran in your office?

A: Visit the office and bring your DD-214 or other discharge papers.

Q: I am an older person receiving Social Security who is seeking additional income. Can you help me with training and finding a job?

A: Ulster Works has local Experience Works staff on the premises to serve people who are age 55 and over, and who meet eligibility requirements for training funds. They also assist with job search information and resume writing assistance. For more information, call 338-4696 x3204 or visit www.experienceworks.org.

Q: Do you offer additional services to veterans?

A: Veterans have Priority of Service at Ulster Works OneStop.  The NYS Department of Labor has a designated Local Veteran Employment Representative available at the OneStop to provide skills assessment and interest surveys, career guidance, job search assistance, and possible skills training for high-demand jobs in the local community.  For more information, visit http://www.ulsterworks.com/veterans.

Q: Do you offer additional services to people with disabilities?

A: A Disability Resource Coordinator is available at the Ulster Works OneStop Center to assist individuals with disabilities on SSI and SSDI to transition from benefit support to full employment in the workplace.
For more information, visit http://www.ulsterworks.com/people-disabilities.

Q: Can you help me with my Unemployment claim?

A: Contact the New York State Department of Labor for assistance at 888-209-8124 or visit the website at http://labor.ny.gov/unemploymentassistance.shtm.  There is no Unemployment Office for you to visit in person.

Q: What services do you offer to youth?

A: Ulster Works offers a variety of services to youth, including A year-round Youth Employment Program where eligible youth receive assistance with work experience placement and/or occupational training.  A Summer Youth Employment Program for youth to find support with securing summer employment within the County.  For further information, visit http://www.ulsterworks.com/youth.