FAQ: All

Q: Can you help me find occupational training?

A: Whether you are an employer who needs training for current or future employees, or an unemployed or underemployed job seeker who wants to upgrade or learn new skills, Ulster Works can connect you to the resources you need to achieve your goals.  For further information, visit http://ulsterworks.com/training.

Q: What services do you offer to businesses?

A: Ulster Works is a convenient and cost effective resource for hiring new employees and remaining competitive.  The Ulster Works Business Services Representative is the contact person who is able to provide information and support regarding a variety of services including posting job vacancies as well as providing resources to upgrade employees skills with training.  For a full explanation of business services available at Ulster Works visit http://ulsterworks.com/employers.

Q: Can you help me find a job?

A: Yes.  The Office of Employment and Training participates in a partnership of agencies at the Ulster Works OneStop.  Ulster Works has a wide variety of services and resources available to assist you in your job search.  These services include a resource room, workshops, career counselors, a Disability Resource Coordinator, funding for training, and job listings.  For a full explanation of the services available, visit http://ulsterworks.com/job-seekers.

Q: What are the areas addressed by the Human Rights Law?

A: Under the Human Rights Law discrimination is prohibited in the areas of: Employment Housing Credit Public Accommodations Volunteer firefighting Non-Sectarian Educational Institutions

Q: How do I file a Human Rights complaint?

A: Complaints can be filed with the NYS Department of Human Rights online at www.dhr.ny.gov or by calling (518) 474-2705.

Q: What is the NYS Human Rights Law?

A: The Human Rights Law protects individuals from discrimination based on their age, creed, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, disability, military status, domestic violence victim status, arrest record, conviction record, predisposing genetic characteristics, and familial status (in housing only). If you believe you have been discriminated against based on one of these traits or characteristics, you may have a valid complaint of unlawful discrimination.

Q: I'm on probation for DWI and I don't drive. Why can't I enjoy a drink every now and then?

A: If you are on probation for DWI you will have a condition of probation which requires abstinence from alcohol and illegal drugs. Abstinence is required not only to prevent you from drinking and driving while on probation but also to assist you in rehabilitation. The probation officer will test you for use of alcohol and other drugs.

Q: I'm on probation for DWI. Why have I been directed to put an ignition interlock in my car and pay for it?

A: New York State law requires ignition interlocks to be installed at your expense in your car if you have been convicted of DWI for the second time within five years. You may be required to install the interlock on your car or the car that you have been driving even if it is owned by someone else. People who have been convicted more than once for DWI are more at risk for drinking and driving without a license. The ignition interlock is installed to protect the public.

Q: What is expected of me while performing court ordered community service?

A: The community service program or probation officer will inform the participant of his or her responsibilities to: report according to the work schedule; complete all requirements of the community service order; and comply with all participant/community service program/worksite agreements that have been made during the placement process.

Q: Can a probationer sentenced to probation supervision in New York State move out of New York State?

A: Each case is considered individually. When a probationer requests, through his/her probation officer, a transfer of supervision to another state (the “Receiving State”) the probation officer in the current state (the “Sending State”) reviews the case to determine whether the probationer meets the necessary criteria for transfer. That criterion includes having an established residence or immediate family and employment or viable means of support in the Receiving State. It is important to note that a transfer to another state is a privilege provided to probationers who are currently complying with their terms and conditions of probation. If the probation officer agrees to pursue a transfer, the probationer must execute a waiver of extradition and must agree to abide by the terms and conditions set by both the Sending and Receiving States.