FAQ: All

Q: Is there a fee to apply for a civil service examination?

A: Yes. Most examinations have a $20 fee.  However all Uniformed Protective Service titles, such as Police Officer, Deputy Sheriff, and Correction Officer, require a $40 fee.  Refer to the specific examination announcement for fee details. Ulster County has an Examination Fee Waiver Policy. Candidates who meet specific criteria are eligible. To find out more about the Examination Fee Waiver Policy, visit ulstercountyny.gov/personnel/examinfo.html, or refer to the section titled “Exception to Fee Requirement” on each examination announcement.  If you have additional questions, contact the office at 845-340-3550.

Q: How do I get information about taking a civil service examination in Ulster County?

A: Visit http://ulstercountyny.gov/personnel/current-employment-opportunities or call the examination hotline at 334-5454.  If you have a question that is not answered online or on the hotline, contact the office at 845-340-3550.

Q: Where do I find Ulster County’s job openings?

A: Visit http://ulstercountyny.gov/personnel/current-employment-opportunitiesl to find out about open positions and upcoming civil service examinations. You may also want to check the City of Kingston, towns, villages, school districts and libraries in Ulster County for their job openings.  Applications for those positions must be made directly to each municipality.

Q: Can I speak to someone about getting assistance with my heating bills?

A: The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) provides help paying heating bills to income eligible residents to pay heating bills.  If you received HEAP in the past year, you will automatically receive a HEAP application for the present year. Call the Department of Social Services at 334-5436 if you have additional questions.

Q: I just got my tax bill. Do I quality for any kind of discounts or exemptions?

A: Contact your local assessor’s office to find out if there are any programs that you might qualify for. 

Q: I’d like to move into senior housing. Do you have a listing?

A: Yes, call the office at (845) 340-3456 and Office for the Aging staff will mail you a Senior Citizen Housing Guide for Ulster County or come to our office at 1003 Development Court, in Kingston and pick one up.

Q: Could you tell me when the next AARP Defensive Driving class will be held?

A: Call AARP Defensive Driving at 1-888-227-7669 and leave your zip code and telephone number on the answering machine.  Someone will call you with the nearest class location/earliest date or visit the AARP website:  http://www.aarp.org/home-garden/transportation/driver_safety/?cmp=RDRCT-...

Q: Where can I get a handicapped parking permit for the City of Kingston?

A: To obtain Parking Permit for Person w/ Disabilities
Erin McDowell- Clerk
Kingston Police Dept.

Q: Do you have a phone number for Social Security?

A: Social Security main telephone is 1-800-772-1213. Social Security Portal Services at the Office for the Aging are Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. by appointment only. The number is 1-877-405-5349, extension 22021. The Poughkeepsie Office is located at 332 Main Street. The number is 1-877-405-6747 and is open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and from 9 a.m. to Noon on Wednesdays. The Hudson Office is located at 747 Warren Street. The number is 1-877-828-1691 and is open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and from 9 a.m. to Noon on Wednesdays.  

Q: When will the Farmer’s Market coupons be available?

A: They are available each year starting about mid-to-late July for low income seniors 60 years old and older.  They can be picked up at the office Monday through Friday.  They are given out through September 30th and they must be used no later than November 15th.  They cannot be carried over to the following year.