FAQ: All

Q: How do I file a claim for VA benefits?

A: The claims process is complex and detailed.  Forms vary depending on the benefit being applied for. It is recommended that you visit the UC Veteran Services Agency to speak with a Service Officer who has been trained and accredited for submitting claims directly to the VA on your behalf. Veterans may also do this on their own on the VA’s eBenefits website.

Q: Can I get transportation to my VA medical appointments?

A: There is a daily shuttle from Kingston to Stratton VA Medical Center (VAMC) in Albany, at no cost to the veteran. Call 340-3190 to reserve a space on the van, at least 24 hours ahead of your appointment.  UCVSA also supports wheelchair-bound vets needing transportation to the VA Clinic and the Kingston Hospital Dialysis Center, both located in Kingston.

Q: How do I apply for VA Healthcare?

A: Fill out VA Form 10-10EZ.  A Service Officer is available to assist.

Q: How do I obtain information and advice about benefits?

A: Visit the office and ask to speak with a Service Officer or browse through the VA Benefits Handbook at http://www.va.gov/opa/publications/benefits_book.asp.

Q: How do I register as a veteran in your office?

A: Visit the office and bring your DD-214 or other discharge papers.

Q: What are the areas addressed by the Human Rights Law?

A: Under the Human Rights Law discrimination is prohibited in the areas of: Employment Housing Credit Public Accommodations Volunteer firefighting Non-Sectarian Educational Institutions

Q: What is the NYS Human Rights Law?

A: The Human Rights Law protects individuals from discrimination based on their age, creed, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, disability, military status, domestic violence victim status, arrest record, conviction record, predisposing genetic characteristics, and familial status (in housing only). If you believe you have been discriminated against based on one of these traits or characteristics, you may have a valid complaint of unlawful discrimination.

Q: I'm on probation for DWI and I don't drive. Why can't I enjoy a drink every now and then?

A: If you are on probation for DWI you will have a condition of probation which requires abstinence from alcohol and illegal drugs. Abstinence is required not only to prevent you from drinking and driving while on probation but also to assist you in rehabilitation. The probation officer will test you for use of alcohol and other drugs.

Q: I'm on probation for DWI. Why have I been directed to put an ignition interlock in my car and pay for it?

A: New York State law requires ignition interlocks to be installed at your expense in your car if you have been convicted of DWI for the second time within five years. You may be required to install the interlock on your car or the car that you have been driving even if it is owned by someone else. People who have been convicted more than once for DWI are more at risk for drinking and driving without a license. The ignition interlock is installed to protect the public.

Q: What is expected of me while performing court ordered community service?

A: The community service program or probation officer will inform the participant of his or her responsibilities to: report according to the work schedule; complete all requirements of the community service order; and comply with all participant/community service program/worksite agreements that have been made during the placement process.