FAQ: All

Q: Can I apply for an examination which requires a college education if I don’t have my college transcripts?

A: Yes. But you must send the Personnel Department your college transcripts by the date indicated on the examination announcement.

Q: How will I know when and where my civil service examination will be held?

A: You will receive an admittance letter which will provide information including the date, time, and place of your examination. This letter also provides useful information such as what you should bring and whether or not you are allowed to use a calculator. Admittance letters are sent approximately two weeks prior to an examination. If you do not receive an admittance letter within four days of the examination, contact the office at 845-340-3550.

Q: Can I apply to take an examination with Ulster County and New York State or another county on the same day?

A: Yes. When you apply you must notify each county of your intentions and indicate where you would like to take the examinations. If you will be taking an examination for New York State as well as for Ulster County and/or other counties, you must notify all jurisdictions, however, you must take the exams at the State exam site.

Q: How do I study for my exam?

A: Everyone’s study habits are different.  The New York State Department of Civil Service provides study guides for some examinations, which can be found at: http://www.cs.ny.gov/testing/localtestguides.cfm.   In addition, you can purchase study guides for some subjects from the CSEA Work Institute at: 1-518-782-4427 or 1-866-478-5548 or by obtaining an order form from the Ulster County Personnel Department at 244 Fair Street, 5th Floor in Kingston.

Q: Is there a fee to apply for a civil service examination?

A: Yes. Most examinations have a $20 fee.  However all Uniformed Protective Service titles, such as Police Officer, Deputy Sheriff, and Correction Officer, require a $40 fee.  Refer to the specific examination announcement for fee details. Ulster County has an Examination Fee Waiver Policy. Candidates who meet specific criteria are eligible. To find out more about the Examination Fee Waiver Policy, visit ulstercountyny.gov/personnel/examinfo.html, or refer to the section titled “Exception to Fee Requirement” on each examination announcement.  If you have additional questions, contact the office at 845-340-3550.

Q: How do I get information about taking a civil service examination in Ulster County?

A: Visit http://ulstercountyny.gov/personnel/current-employment-opportunities or call the examination hotline at 334-5454.  If you have a question that is not answered online or on the hotline, contact the office at 845-340-3550.

Q: Where do I find Ulster County’s job openings?

A: Visit http://ulstercountyny.gov/personnel/current-employment-opportunitiesl to find out about open positions and upcoming civil service examinations. You may also want to check the City of Kingston, towns, villages, school districts and libraries in Ulster County for their job openings.  Applications for those positions must be made directly to each municipality.

Q: Can I speak to someone about getting assistance with my heating bills?

A: The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) provides help paying heating bills to income eligible residents to pay heating bills.  If you received HEAP in the past year, you will automatically receive a HEAP application for the present year. Call the Department of Social Services at 334-5436 if you have additional questions.

Q: I just got my tax bill. Do I quality for any kind of discounts or exemptions?

A: Contact your local assessor’s office to find out if there are any programs that you might qualify for. 

Q: I’d like to move into senior housing. Do you have a listing?

A: Yes, call the office at (845) 340-3456 and Office for the Aging staff will mail you a Senior Citizen Housing Guide for Ulster County or come to our office at 1003 Development Court, in Kingston and pick one up.