FAQ: All

Q: Do you offer additional services to people with disabilities?

A: A Disability Resource Coordinator is available at the Ulster Works OneStop Center to assist individuals with disabilities on SSI and SSDI to transition from benefit support to full employment in the workplace.
For more information, visit http://www.ulsterworks.com/people-disabilities.

Q: Can you help me with my Unemployment claim?

A: Contact the New York State Department of Labor for assistance at 888-209-8124 or visit the website at http://labor.ny.gov/unemploymentassistance.shtm.  There is no Unemployment Office for you to visit in person.

Q: What services do you offer to youth?

A: Ulster Works offers a variety of services to youth, including A year-round Youth Employment Program where eligible youth receive assistance with work experience placement and/or occupational training.  A Summer Youth Employment Program for youth to find support with securing summer employment within the County.  For further information, visit http://www.ulsterworks.com/youth.

Q: Can you help me find occupational training?

A: Whether you are an employer who needs training for current or future employees, or an unemployed or underemployed job seeker who wants to upgrade or learn new skills, Ulster Works can connect you to the resources you need to achieve your goals.  For further information, visit http://ulsterworks.com/training.

Q: What services do you offer to businesses?

A: Ulster Works is a convenient and cost effective resource for hiring new employees and remaining competitive.  The Ulster Works Business Services Representative is the contact person who is able to provide information and support regarding a variety of services including posting job vacancies as well as providing resources to upgrade employees skills with training.  For a full explanation of business services available at Ulster Works visit http://ulsterworks.com/employers.

Q: Can you help me find a job?

A: Yes.  The Office of Employment and Training participates in a partnership of agencies at the Ulster Works OneStop.  Ulster Works has a wide variety of services and resources available to assist you in your job search.  These services include a resource room, workshops, career counselors, a Disability Resource Coordinator, funding for training, and job listings.  For a full explanation of the services available, visit http://ulsterworks.com/job-seekers.

Q: What are the areas addressed by the Human Rights Law?

A: Under the Human Rights Law discrimination is prohibited in the areas of: Employment Housing Credit Public Accommodations Volunteer firefighting Non-Sectarian Educational Institutions

Q: How do I file a Human Rights complaint?

A: Complaints can be filed with the NYS Department of Human Rights online at www.dhr.ny.gov or by calling (518) 474-2705.

Q: What is the NYS Human Rights Law?

A: The Human Rights Law protects individuals from discrimination based on their age, creed, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, disability, military status, domestic violence victim status, arrest record, conviction record, predisposing genetic characteristics, and familial status (in housing only). If you believe you have been discriminated against based on one of these traits or characteristics, you may have a valid complaint of unlawful discrimination.

Q: I'm on probation for DWI and I don't drive. Why can't I enjoy a drink every now and then?

A: If you are on probation for DWI you will have a condition of probation which requires abstinence from alcohol and illegal drugs. Abstinence is required not only to prevent you from drinking and driving while on probation but also to assist you in rehabilitation. The probation officer will test you for use of alcohol and other drugs.