During this COVID pandemic, it's more important than ever to get your flu shot
Smokers and Vapors at Greater Risk for COVID-19 (NY Times 04.09.20)
How to Help Virus Proof Your Home - CNN (posted 03.31.20)
Why Social Distancing is So Important (NY Times 04.15.20)
Frequent Handwashing, especially before eating, is one of the best ways to protect yourself from viruses and other communicable diseases. Here's how to do it right:
Cyber-Bullying is not only harmful, but it's also against the law in Ulster County.
The NYS Dignity for All Students Act also helps ensure that all students can feel safe in every classroom
When adults respond quickly and consistently to bullying behavior they send the message that it is not acceptable. Research shows this can stop bullying behavior over time.
Parents, school staff, and other adults in the community can help kids prevent bullying by talking about it, building a safe school environment, and creating a community-wide bullying prevention strategy.
5 Ways to Stop Cyberbullies
5 Ways to Deal With Haters and Trolls
4 Ways to Help Teens Avoid Digital Harassment
Is Your Sedentary Lifestyle Harming You? THE ANSWER IS "YES"
The sedentary lifestyle is easy to fall victim to.
Research has shown that a sedentary lifestyle—sitting for long periods of time on a daily basis—leads to obesity, cancer, and risk of death from cardiovascular disease. Just sitting in front of your TV for more than 4 hours a day increases your mortality risk by any cause by nearly 50 percent! And it’s not just channel surfing. Any extended sitting, such as behind a desk or driving all day—can be harmful to your health. And spending a few hours at the gym each week doesn’t seem to significantly offset the risk of a sedentary lifestyle.
So, what to do? Sit less, move more—all day long. If you’re reading this, stand up! If you’re listening to music, stand up and move! The muscular effort you use will help burn calories and trigger the important breakdown of fats and sugars in the body. Every time you stand or actively move, you kick those fat-burning processes into gear. When you sit, they stall!
Here are some simple ways to combat your sedentary lifestyle and help you stand up for a longer, healthier life:
– Set your smart phone alarm, computer or clock to ring on the hour to remind you to stand up, refill your cup of water, and take a short walk.
– Do this quick yoga routine several times a day.
– Stand up and do some leg raises.
– Take all phone calls on your feet.
– Schedule a “walking date” or learn to take meetings walking.
– Park your car further away and walk to your destination!
– Always take the stairs, instead of the elevator. Even one floor will do your body good.
The department maintains a listing of preventative services and resources available locally, statewide & nationally.
- NY State Health Department: http://www.health.state.ny.us
- Centers for Disease Control: http://www.cdc.gov
- Guide to Community Preventive Services: http://www.thecommunityguide.org:
- Health Information Project - Mid-Hudson Library System: http://midhudson.org/hip/main.htm
- New York State Assembly: http://www.assembly.state.ny.us
- Tobacco Free Action Communities: http://tobaccofreeactioncommunities.org/
- American Lung Association: http://www.lungusa.org
- National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov
- American Heart Association: http://www.americanheart.org
- American Council on Exercise: http://www.acefitness.org
- Community Heart Health Coalition of Ulster County: http://chhculster.org/
- American Diabetes Association: http://www.diabetes.org:
- American Diabetic Association: http://www.eatright.org
- Nutrition Consortium of NYS: http://www.hungernys.org
- Food and Health Communications: http://www.foodandhealth.com
- NYSDMY - Traffic Safety Committee: http://www.safeny.com
- US Consumer Product Safety Commission: http://www.cpsc.gov
- Cornell Cooperative Extension: http://www.cce.cornell.edu
- US Environmental Protetion Agency: http://www.epa.gov
- American Cancer Society: http://www.cancer.org
- Upstate New York Poison Center: http://www.upstate.edu/poison/
- Poison Prevention: http://www.poisonprevention.org
More Prevention Topics (in alphabetical order)
Burns Prevention (1)
Burns Prevention (2)
Pedestrian Safety (Safe Routes to School)
Prevention Resources for the Healthcare Community
New York State Health Department’s Prevention Agenda